Barden Cottages

These four cottages were built in 1856.  The Leigh Vestry in March 1857 decided that the four new cottages lately erected by Mr Barden senior be rated at £3 each.  They were part of the Penshurst Estate and, therefore, part of the sale of Leigh properties of the Penshurst Estate in 1921.  The Sales Particulars (p.18) describe them as a block of four capital cottages, facing Leigh Green and together with gardens extend to about 1rod 35 perches.   They were let to Mrs Barden, Messrs. William Ingram, Arthur Wells and Albert Stubbings.  Each cottage contained: two bedrooms, sitting room and kitchen, washhouse and W.C.  Company’s water and gas laid on.


Joyce Field (December 2015)