Rose Cottage with its garden stood on the site now occupied by Charlotte Bungalows. According to Margaret Pyle (whose grandparents were Fred and Emily Fitzjohn) it was built in the 1760s.
It is listed in the 1870 Sales Particulars for the sale of Hall Place to Samuel Morley where it is described as an ornamental cottage dwelling, built of brick and tile, containing 6 rooms, with a large garden. It is No. 11 on the plan and contained 0a 1r 10p. It was let to Mr Jesse Sales, a yearly Michaelmas Tenant, at the low apportioned Rent of £10 per annum.
It continued to be occupied until the 1880s by Jesse Sales, a blacksmith. His son, George Sales, was also a blacksmith. He married Ann Barden and in 1851 was living next door to his father in the house then occupied by his father-in-law and now called the White House.