Tithe Map, 1841
The Tithe Act 1836 substituted a tithe rent charge for the old system of Tithes and it became necessary to make a map of each parish in order to apportion the rent charge.
Part of the Tithe map which relates to the village and shows:
- Hall Place as built in 1780 but without the Manorial Hall which was not added till 1846.
- The two lodges shown have both been pulled down. East Lodge north of the drive was replaced in 1852 by the present lodge south of the drive. The West Lodge shown in the map was opposite where the three Oak Cottages now stand and was replaced in 1852 by the present Old Lodge on a different site.
- At that time there were two public houses, Porcupine Inn and the Bat and Ball described in the Map as a Beer Shop.
- The cage is shown where the War Memorial now stands.
- The pound (for stray animals) is on the Green close to Oak Cottage.
- The road through Leigh was a Turnpike road and the Toll House is shown where the water trough now stands.
- In the middle of the Green is a Charity School and in Powdermill Lane a National School , which later became the girls’ school.
- There are tracks across the Green but no road round it.
- The Vicarage, which was pulled down in 1876, is shown with sections of a moat round it.
Also shown are:
- No. 51 – 59 the cottages pulled down to create Forge Square
- No. 73, 75 – 77 the cottages pulled down to create The Square
- No. 65 Rose Cottage pulled down when Charlotte Cottages were built.
- No. 66 – 69 the cottages pulled down when Stone House was built.
- No. 87 – 91 Workhouse cottages on the site of Saxby Wood.
The Railway was in course of construction when the Tithe Map was being made and is shown. It involved the destruction of two cottages shown and part of the Brick and Tile Works.