Thomas Baily built four cottages on the corner between the High Street and Lower Green in 1855. These four cottages were bought in 1870 by Bartum and Co., brewers of Tonbridge. Later in the same year the cottage nearest Lower Green was extended by a wing of similar design and with the adjacent cottage became a public house, taking a transfer of the licence once held by the Porcupine and later the Goats Head. The two cottages to the east of the Fleur de Lys were later sold to Samuel Morley. At approximately the same time that Thomas Baily erected the four cottages in High Street, two of which were later extended as described. He purchased Home Farm at which time he rebuilt the front of the farmhouse and in the same year he built Laundry Cottage as a bakery.
Between 1911 and 1921 the licensees of The Fleur de Lis Hotel were Polly (nee Rumley) and James Henry Jones and where Beryl Pawsey (nee Jones) was born in 1920 (see under Village Pubs in our archive), although she was only 18 months when her parents moved from Leigh. When Polly and James Henry were licensees the Fleur was owned by the Dartford Brewery – as can be seen from the photograph above.
James Henry Jones and wife, Polly nee Rumley), licensees of The Fleur de Lis Hotel 1911-1921
Joyce Field (August 2015)