El Vanin and Ranmore

These cottages are marked with the Bear and Ragged Staff, the crest of the Dudley family were built by Edward Wheatley, a builder, in about 1853.  They were part of the Penshurst Estate and were sold in 1921 as part of the sale of Penshurst properties in Leigh – see 1921 Sales Particulars p. 20.  In the Sales Particulars they are described as a pair of brick and tiled cottages situate at Lower Green, Leigh and close to Lyghe Halt and embracing an area of about 27 perches.  They were let to Mr Harry Hitchcock and Mr William Blunt on quarterly tenancies.  Each cottage contained three bedrooms, sitting room, kitchen, wash-house and W.C.  Bakehouse shared.  Company’s Gas and Water laid on.

Joyce Field (December 2015)