Old Chimneys is one of the houses in the village that pre-date the 1841 Tithe Map. It was built as one house with two storeys and later converted into two cottages with the outside rendered. In 1921 it was sold as part of the Penshurst Estate, see 1921 Sales Particulars p. 16. where it is described as “two excellent cottages and gardens” facing Leigh Green and embracing and area of about 1 rod 32 perches. One was let to Mr A S Faircloth on a quarterly tenancy, and the other to Mr Albert Stubbings on a monthly tenancy. Each cottage contained two bedrooms and attic, living room and scullery. Outside wood store and W.C. Good gardens. Company’s water and gas laid on.
In 1930 Mr Card reconverted it to a single house and exposed the original timber framing, both outside and inside the building.
Joyce Field (December 2015)