Forge Square was one of Samuel Morley’s projects to rebuild cottages in the village. The houses at Forge Square would replace seven cottages (at one point known as the Row) which stood on the site at the time and had formed part of the 1870 sale to Samuel Morley, being pulled down and replaced by Forge Square. In 1878 Samuel’s son, Charles, who lived at Coopers in Hawkwood Lane, Chislehurst, employed Ernest George and Peto as architects to design the new houses. These would consist of 1-7 Forge Square and South View. 1-7 Forge Square would be to house Hall Place employees and South View would be used as a convalescent home for employees of I & R Morley.
FORGE SQUARE: The five cottages and two flats along the north and west sides of the square were designed and built by Sir Ernest George and Peto in about 1885/86. They are an L-shaped two-storey range of buildings in Tudor style. The left wing is of coursed freestone and has a double overhung end gable, and is half timbered with plaster filling. The right wing faces the road and has 2 wide gables across a full width, half-timbered and with plaster filling front. Here there is a brick ground floor and a round angle below shingled gable. There are irregular, many mullioned casements, some flat, some bays. There are Tudor-style arches to doorways, some of stone, some of carved wood. There is a tall, ornamental chimney of brick and stone.
Numbers 1-5 are two storey; No. 6 is a downstairs, one-bedroomed flat; No. 7 is an upstairs flat reached by an external, covered, wood staircase. It has a fairly high pitched, gable ended tiled roof. There are ornamental projecting wood-shingled gables, with pierced bargeboards and a 5-light oriel on the inner return of the projecting left range.
No 1 Forge Square was used as the police house in the village at least from the 1920s until about 1952, when the new police house was built in The Green Lane.
On the east side, South View was built about 1890 – completed early 1891. See separate item on South View.
When originally built, the cottages at Forge Square and South View were all thatched; however, the thatch was subsequently replaced by tiles after 1920.
Over time, the cottages of Forge Square have been sold by the Hall Place Estate into private hands. South View passed into private hands in 1954.