Around the Green

Alms Houses
Barden Cottages
Cherry Tree Cottages
Church Hill Cottages
Church Hill House
East Lodge
Elizabeth Cottage
Forge (The)
Forge Cottage
Forge Square
Gales and Greenways Cottages
Garden Cottages
Great Boydens (The Row)
Kennards 
Oak Cottage
Old Chimneys
Old Wood Cottage
Park House
Pippin Cottage
Porcupine House
School
South View
Vicarage (Old)
War Memorial (The)

South View, c. 1897. Originally built as a convalescent home in 1890/91 by the architects Sir Ernest George and Peto. Photo from The Studio, vol. 10 p.179

South View, c. 1897. Originally built as a convalescent home in 1890/91 by the architects Sir Ernest George and Peto. Photo from The Studio, vol. 10 p.179

Southview House and St Mary's Church. Photograph from the album of Rev. Octavius Walton (vicar of Leigh 1906-18)

Southview House and St Mary’s Church. Photograph from the album of Rev. Octavius Walton (vicar of Leigh 1906-18)

Parish Charity Cottages (on right) and South View. The Charity Cottages were built about 1865 by the Vestry and were demolished in 1911/12 at the request of Samuel Hope Morley who provided Chestnuts (new) and Nos 1 and 2 Cherry Tree Cottages instead.

Parish Charity Cottages (on right) and South View. The Charity Cottages were built about 1865 by the Vestry and were demolished in 1911/12 at the request of Samuel Hope Morley who provided Chestnuts (new) and Nos 1 and 2 Cherry Tree Cottages instead.

Central part of Forge Square built by the architects Sir Ernest George and Peto in 1885. Postcard published by Daniell Bros. Ltd., Lewisham

Central part of Forge Square built by the architects Sir Ernest George and Peto in 1885. Postcard published by Daniell Bros. Ltd., Lewisham

The Forge to Forge Cottage showing footpath across the Green. Photograph from the album of Rev. Octavius Walton (vicar of Leigh 1906-18)

The Forge to Forge Cottage showing footpath across the Green. Photograph from the album of Rev. Octavius Walton (vicar of Leigh 1906-18)

The Forge to Forge Cottage. Photograph from the album of Rev. Octavius Walton (vicar of Leigh 1906-18)

The Forge to Forge Cottage. Photograph from the album of Rev. Octavius Walton (vicar of Leigh 1906-18)

The War Memorial, Leigh, 1920s . Postcard published by J Salmon, Sevenoaks from an original watercolour by A.R. Quinton.

The War Memorial, Leigh, 1920s . Postcard published by J Salmon, Sevenoaks from an original watercolour by A.R. Quinton.

The Gate House (now Porcupine House), c. 1940

The Gate House (now Porcupine House), c. 1940

The 'old' Cricket Pavilion, built 1896

The ‘old’ Cricket Pavilion, built 1896

The new Cricket Pavilion, built 1972

The new Cricket Pavilion, built 1972

Anderson's Village Shop (Post Office and General Store owned by William Anderson) and Forge Cottage. The latter built after 1872. Photo likely to be 1916-18

Anderson’s Village Shop (Post Office and General Store owned by William Anderson) and Forge Cottage. The latter built after 1872. Photo likely to be 1916-18

East Lodge and Lych Gate. Note the gas light to the left, and large tree (oak?) to right of the lych gate

East Lodge and Lych Gate. Note the gas light to the left, and large tree (oak?) to right of the lych gate

Old Kennards. One of the oldest houses in Leigh. Photo c. 1910.

Old Kennards. One of the oldest houses in Leigh. Photo c. 1910.

Cherry Tree Cottages (on left). Photo taken from where the back gardens of Green View Avenue are today.

Cherry Tree Cottages (on left). Photo taken from where the back gardens of Green View Avenue are today.

Leigh Post Office and Stores with the Butcher's alongside. Photo mid-1970s

Leigh Post Office and Stores with the Butcher’s alongside. Photo mid-1970s

Oak Cottage, The Green. c.1948. Artist signature not clear. Note metal replacement windows downstairs.

Oak Cottage, The Green. c.1948. Artist signature not clear. Note metal replacement windows downstairs.

East Gate, East Lodge and St Mary's Church

East Gate, East Lodge and St Mary’s Church

The Green from thesSouth showing St Mary's Church and the War Memorial. Postcard, 1940s

The Green from thesSouth showing St Mary’s Church and the War Memorial. Postcard, 1940s

The Green from the southeast corner. Postcard, 1940s

The Green from the southeast corner. Postcard, 1940s

The Green from Oak Cottage showing the footpath across to Powdermill Lane. Postcard produced by E.A. Sweetman & Sons Ltd., Tunbridge Wells. Probably 1920s

The Green from Oak Cottage showing the footpath across to Powdermill Lane. Postcard produced by E.A. Sweetman & Sons Ltd., Tunbridge Wells. Probably 1920s

Forge House, No 1 Forge Square and the War Memorial 1920s. Postcard published by J Salmon, Sevenoaks from an original watercolour by A.R. Quinton

Forge House, No 1 Forge Square and the War Memorial 1920s. Postcard published by J Salmon, Sevenoaks from an original watercolour by A.R. Quinton

Village Green taken from southwest corner towards St Mary's Church

Village Green taken from southwest corner towards St Mary’s Church