These cottages are described in Lawrence Biddle’s book ‘Leigh In Kent 1550-1900’ as group of four Lightfoot Cottages designed by George Devey for the Penshurst Estate. However, the 1921 Sales Particulars (p.23) describes them as a block of three cottages and gardens situated at the junction of the roads from Leigh to Penshurst and Penshurst station and extending to 2 rod 36 perches. They are let to Mrs James Lucas on a weekly tenancy (landlord paying rates), to Mr John SMith on a monthly tenancy, and to Mr Sidney Martin on a quarterly tenancy; and the grass to Mr W Taylor on a yearly tenancy.
The cottages are described as very well designed and constructed in the most substantial manner of brick, weather-tile and tile, much of the exterior woodwork being of oak. Each cottage contains living room, scullery, pantry and three, two and three bedrooms respectively. Also bakehouse, wash-house, three E.C., three Wood Lodges, and water from a draw well in Price’s Wood opposite. The Sales Particulars also state that the purchaser shall erect a fence between the points F and G on Plan, in accordance with stipulation 10.
Joyce Field (December 2015)