The site now occupied by Inglenook was the site of the Leigh vicarage until the middle of the nineteenth century. As the vicarage deteriorated in the nineteenth century, the then Vicar, the Rev Thomas May, built Upper Kennards as a house for his own occupation. When the Rev. May retired in 1876, the vicarage was condemned by the diocesan surveyor and a new vicarage was built, its foundation stone being laid by Samuel Morley in 1877. Stables were built for this vicarage on the site of the old vicarage. As this vicarage over time proved too big, it was sold in 1961. The stables were themselves converted into the house we know today as Inglenook.
Joyce Field (Feb 2019)